KAVOUSI OLIVE TREE: The timeless culture of olive
Walking in the countryside of Kavousi, the traveler will stop in memorable moments of history and culture of the olive and Crete, will meet the oldest and most respected lady of Eastern Crete: the 3200 year old monumental olive tree and will visit the oldest settlement in the island that had an oil press building: Azorias city of the 7th century BC.
According to the myth, the first olive tree was a gift given by the goddess Athena to the ancient city of Athens. Another olive tree was planted by Hercules in the ancient Olympia. According to the scientific evidence, the oldest edible olives in Europe were found in the Minoan palaces of Knossos, Phaistos and Zakros served in cups and the cultivation of the olive in Crete goes back at least to the 3rd millennium BC. Scriptures, symbols, constructions and storage jars indicate the production of olive oil in Crete and its trade throughout the Mediterranean in all times, since then. However, the best witness for the timelessness of olive cultivation and culture are some of the thousands olives that have captured the Cretan landscape today: the ancient, monumental olive trees.
The trip step by step
Up to the mountains: trekking or alternatively driving into “Natura” landscape.
The oldest lady of East Crete: visiting the ancient olive tree inside the valley of Kavousi.
Archeological treasures: tour to the archeological site of Azorias (12th-6th cen. BC).
Tasting a local snack at a local kafenio.
- Guided tour by an archaeologist (English speaking).
- Program manual for each traveler, including bibliographic references, maps, photos, etc.
- All that is mentioned above.
- Tasting a local snack at a local kafenio.
- Third party insurance
- All taxes
- Transport from your accommodation to the sites proposed and back to the hotel (upon request with extra cost).
- Other guided tours and entrance fees in organized archaeological sites.
- Personal accident insurance (on request).
- Drinks, personal expenses and tips.
- Anything that is not mentioned in the paragraph above.
Transfer - Upon request - extra charge
Transfer from your location to the meeting point (prices in euros for each itinerary, to be shared by the total number of participants):
a. By taxi with a professional driver: 35 euros / hour
b. By 9 seat mini-van (5-8 pax): 45 euros / hour
c. By 12 seat mini-bus (9-12 pax): 50 euros / hour