MINOS: The nine years king outside of Knossos palace
A subversive approach of the most famous palace of Crete and the Minoan civilisation. Possibility to include a 2 hour trekking, with the archeologist, from the sanctuary of Anemospilia to the peak sanctuary of Yiouhtas, through a ancient, path with a stunning view. EVERY SATURDAY (from 1 April to 31 December 2018)
Knossos, the great city of Minoan Crete, was the seat of the legendary king of the island, Minos, son of Zeus and oriental princess Europe. The earliest ancient sources mention the name of Minos with the word “Enneoros”, i.e. the king his term lasted nine years. Every nine years Minos ascended to the mountain edge of his earth, to receive the law of God itself, essentially to renew the sanction of his nine-year office. The scenery around the palace of Knossos provides one of the most imaginative mythical landscapes of this nine-year ritual process. On the outskirts of Knossos lay the mountain that may be climbed and the rivers that flowed from this mountain leading to Knossos and the palace of the king, forming the paths and roads of this area.
The travelers of PETASSOS have the opportunity to become acquainted with this ancient “fabulous scenery”: the landscape of mountain, rivers and roads of the region, where the town and the palace of Knossos were built up. The excursion to this historical landscape, gives the stimulus to know the ways of measuring time by the Minoans, i.e. to get to know their calendar: the power and management on Time, was as severe as the responsibility for the successful Space management, by Minos the great King of Knossos.
THE TRIP ‘STEP BY STEP’
- Driving (or trekking) at the top of the mountain Yiouhtas (811m.).
- Guiding around the Minoan sanctuary of Anemospilia.
- Visiting the hilly area of Fourni where the picnic will take place
INCLUDED IN THE PRICE
- Transfer from/to Heraklion to/from the location of the activity. (Pick up points: Heraklion city, Amoudara)
- Presentation of the theme by an archaeologist (English speaking).
- A manual specially edited by the archaeologist for this programme.
- Booklet adapted to the theme & Maps
- Light lunch (picnic in nature adapted in the minoan era)
- Bottle of Water
- Third party insurance
- All taxes
NOT INCLUDED IN THE PRICE
- Transfer to/from other areas not mentioned above (on request)
- Guiding with the archeologist inside Knossos archeological site.
- Entrance fees to museums and organised archaeological sites.
- Translator (upon request with an extra cost).
- Personal Insurance (upon request, with an extra cost).
- Beverage (soft drinks).
- Other personal expenses