KRITSA WALL PAINTINGS: The medieval book of byzantine art and orthodox spirit
Walking into the traditional village of Kavousi, we will enter into two churches. Through this visit the traveler will discover humble secrets hidden in tiny churches of Crete, travel to the medieval world of the Venetian occupied East, capture moments of daily life of the 14th/15th centuries and feel the philosophy of the Orthodox Christian church.
Thousands of medieval treasures of art and spirit are scattered in the villages and the countryside of Crete. They are not hidden in the earth. They are not displayed in museums. Just opening the door of a Byzantine church and behold a gallery with art works by anonymous artists: illustrated episodes of the gospels, the saints’ lives, the holy service, the psalms, the Revelation. Saints and sinners, heaven and earth, the whole universe in the miniature of a church. The beliefs, the practice and the ontology of the Orthodox Christian church written shortly and simply on the walls, in a language that can be read even by illiterates: the language of the image.
The trip step by step
A traditional village: walking tour inside Kritsa
Saints and sinners: visiting Agios Ioannis Prodromos (Saint John the Baptist) church (14th cen.).
Earth and heaven: visiting Afentis Christos (Christ the Savior) church (14th cen.).
Modern Communion: taste a local drink at a traditional Kafeneio.
- Guided tour by an archaeologist (English speaking).
- Program manual for each traveler, including bibliographic references, maps, photos, etc.
- All that is mentioned above.
- Tasting a local snack at a local kafenio.
- Transport from your accommodation to the sites proposed and back to the hotel (upon request with extra cost).
- Other guided tours and entrance fees in organized archaeological sites.
- Personal accident insurance (on request).
- Drinks, personal expenses and tips.
- Anything that is not mentioned in the paragraph above.