PLANTSCOMMUNITIES: Adaptation of the plants to the cretan environment. With a botanist of the Natural History Museum of Crete.
1750 plant species have been recorded in Crete. This is an impressive number, considering the small size of the island of Crete. How have these plants managed to survive under the harsh conditions that cause the climate, the geology and the human activities? The excursion is made with the escort of a qualified botanist and takes place in various areas, in relation to the season you will be visiting Crete. it addresses to botanists and people who are interested in get acquainted in the majestic world of creten flora.
The Cretan landscape exhibits remarkable variation which includes mountains, plateaus, fertile lands and kilometer after kilometer of coastline. It is also in close proximity to three different continents. Consequently, Crete provides the conditions for the existence of more than 1.750 different species of plants, which is a huge number considering the size of the island. About 160 of these plants are endemic to Crete, which means that they are to be found only on Crete and nowhere else in the world.
(1) How do plants manage to survive on the island of Crete?
(2) How do they deal with hostile human actions?
(3) How do they repel herbivorous animals?
(4) How do they attract animals or insects that aid them?
(5) How do they survive in areas with minimum moisture?
(6) What do they do to deal with the deadly sun of the Mediterranean?
(7) How do they help their offspring to spread?
(8) How are they affected by the strong wind of the mountain tops?
(9) How is it that some of them live so close to the sea?
(10) Are there any plants that are favored when bush-fires happen?
We will try to answer these questions as we visit Cretan flora in their natural habitats, in the fields, in bush-lands, in forests, on coastlines or on cliffs.
It includes the presentation / visit to various ecosystems (bush land, gorge coast). The aim is to l get to know as many as possible of the native plants, many of which are endemic. We’ll see how their shape, their thorns, their scents, their colours, their particularities or their flavours allow them to survive and grow in the often adverse conditions caused by the climate, the geology, the geographical position of Crete and even, the human activity. We’ll see how the plants deter their enemies and how they attract their friends. We will also inspect the mechanisms that allow them to deal with extreme weather.
- Observation of the endemic flora of the island.
- Escort and presentation by a botanist of the Natural History Museum of Crete.
- Visite different areas of biodiversity.
- Light meal based on sesonal wild greens and herbs of the cretan land.
Included in the price
- Guiding and presentation of the theme by a botanist (english speaking).
- Manual of the programme for each traveller, specially edited for this trip with maps, references, etc.
- Cretan picnic in nature (1).
- Everything mentioned above.
Not included in the price
- Transfer to the starting point of the trips & return (upon request with an extra cost).
- Translator (upon request with an extra cost).
- Travel Insurance (upon request with an extra cost).
- Beverage (soft drinks).
- Personal expenses, tips.
- Anything not mentioned above.
(1) Branch according to the typical Cretan gastronomy. It includes homemade snacks adapted to the gastronomic micro-culture of the particular area visited. In addition, a bottle of water and homemade lemonade or local beverage.