AMALTHIA Making Cretan cheese in the heart of Psiloritis Natural Park
WITH A SHEPHERD & A SPECIALIST IN FOOD QUALITY. A unique tour in the world of Cretan cheese; the famous livestock product of the most mountainous island in the Mediterranean. The travelers with PETASSOS will walk to easy paths that pass through pastures where livestock is practiced nowadays and will enjoy a full tasting experience based on dairy products.
THE TRIP ‘STEP BY STEP’
Meeting at the entrance of Anogia village*
Brief presentation of the cheece production in Crete.
A short walk in the pasture in the mountains of Psiloritis.
Visit at a typical shepherd's hut (mitato**) in the heart of Psiloritis mountains and participation in the various stages of cheese making.
Tasting of different varieties of cheese, comparison, discussion.
Lunch at a traditional tavern at Anogia village.
Depending on the time availability and the desires of the participants, we will have the possibility for a couple of extra visits to:
- the most significal livestock zone of Crete, the plateau of Nida.
- the world renown archaeological cave of Zeus on the plateau of Nida.
- the surprising archeological collection of the ancient settlement of Zominthos.
* If not week-end, the meeting and brief presentation will take place in the Information Center of the Psiloritis Natural Park / Geopark of Unesco, at Anogia village.
** The mitata of the highest mountain of Crete, are particularly famous among architects and anthropoligists, all over the world. A brief presentation of the construction methods, the use in the past and nowadays and the histories / legents linked to them, will be presented by the shepherd on the spot, while walking in an easy path that passes from a series of these amazing human creations.
INCLUDED IN THE PRICE
Counting that you come to the meeting point with your own car.
- Guiding by a specialist in cheese making and food quality (English speaking) and a shepherd (Greek speaking)
- A manual in English for each traveler (with references, texts, photos, maps etc)
- Rich picnic in nature and cheece tasting experience
- A full meal at a traditional tavern at Anogia village with typical local food.
- Everything described above
NOT INCLUDED IN THE PRICE
- Transport from your accommodation to the sites proposed and back to the hotel (upon request with extra cost).
- Translator (upon request with an extra cost)
- Entrance fees to museums and organised archaeological sites
- Travel Insurance (upon request with an extra cost)
- Beverage (soft drinks)
- Personal expenses, tips
- Anything not mentioned above