NERAIDOGOYLA: The legendary cave in Lassithi mountain range
The travelers of PETASSOS will ‘plunge’ into the mysterious physical phenomenon of the cave Neraidogoula, which is a vivid legend for the inhabitants of the surrounding area. The trip includes walking in a track of the most extended forest of the cretan mountains, and sub terrain exploration in the legendary cave. Our travelers, with the support of our qualified speleologist, will participate in a simulation of a caving expedition, trying to resolve the mystery of the cave's peculiar function that causes the awe of the locals even nowadays! With a picnic in nature and a early dinner.
“In the streams and in the caves, there live the fairies… and when they get angry, they come out and strangle whoever comes across their way! That is why one should never tread the area round the cave of Neraidogoula - for it may open up and you might be washed away by the gushing water…”
This was what the elders told the young ones to teach them how to respect the mountain and its elements. Indeed, this strange cave would start gushing water at its opening, with no apparent reason, at most unconventional times, even in the summer, during heat-waves…. It was an inexplicable phenomenon. How can one not believe in fairies or in their wrath?
Travellers with PETASSOS have the chance to explore this mysterious physical phenomenon at the cave of Neraidogoula, which still occurs today. We walk through the biggest forest on Crete and then we go underground to explore the secrets at the heart of the mountain in Lasithi.
Starting location: Village Selakano
Stop at the village “Christos” in Lassithi Prefecture. Short guidance
Arrival at Selakano, trekking in the forest and arrival to the entrance of the cave. Rest and branch.
Exploring the cave. Discussion upon geological and speleological issues
Return to the village Selakano and dining in the local kafenio of Mrs Stella.
- Escort by a speleologist (English anf French speaking).
- Program manual for each traveler, including bibliographic references, maps, photos, etc.
- Helmets, head lights, batteries.
- Picnic into the wild.
- A dinner at a local tavern.
- Personal accident insurance, powed by LLoyd's Insurance company.
- Anything mentioned above.
- Transport from your accommodation to the sites proposed and back to the hotel (upon request with extra cost).
- Guided tours in organized archaeological sites.
- Drinks, personal expenses and gratuities.
- Anything not mentioned above.