Experience a day of flavors, aromas, scents and sensations while getting acquainted with the culture of Crete. Spend your day in a rural village getting to know the basic nutritional elements of the world-renowned Cretan Diet, while engaging in a hands-on experience with Cretan Cooking. During this journey you will have the opportunity to join an ordinary day of the people of Crete and to know better the food and the flavors of their everyday diet and the secrets that make the Cretan dietary model one of the healthiest around the planet.
On this day you will have the opportunity to engage into:
1) Olive Oil Tasting: Experience olive oil and the characteristics that make it special and unique. Through this session you will be able to experience 4 different qualities of olive oil. During this process you will learn to identify the different characteristics of its flavor and to distinguish the different qualities available.
2) Cheese Tasting: Taste a variety of cheeses that exist in the daily food consumption patterns of the people of Crete. Let your pallet wander through the several textures, densities and flavors of the Cretan cheeses. You will soon understand why the people of Crete are among the biggest consumers of cheese in the world.
3) Cooking Class: This experience would be incomplete without your engagement with the local cuisine. Get involved in the kitchen, use the local ingredients and make your own creations from the variety of dishes in the Cretan cuisine. Match olive oil with different flavors and learn how to use it in your daily routine.
This experience needs a proper setting. This is why we chose a small village of Crete in order to come closer to the ways of the local people and their everyday practices. Walk through the small isles, experience the true local hospitality away from the mass attraction sites, and get to know the true culture of Crete through engaging with the locals.
Today our passion for Crete will unfold before your eyes through your senses. Experience Crete with the taste of its products, the smell of its cuisine, the touch of the locals' handshake, and the sound of the Cretan nature. See for yourself...
- Arrival at the location
- Introduction to the Cretan diet and culture
- Initiation in the world of olive oil and olive oil tasting
- A walk in the village and its surroundings
- Cheese making and tasting
- Cooking class with two Cretan Moms (preparation of local diet dishes)
- Lunch with what we have prepared during the cooking class