CHANIA OFF THE BEATEN TRACK... WHITE MOUNTAINS
An echanting route on the High Mountains
Explore the hinderland as locals do!
If you want a day of real escape, away from the busiest parts of the island, this is the opportunity to relax and enjoy the scenery and the nature and to explore the archaeological sites, the tastes and the villages of the hinterland of Chania. Our interpretive guide takes you to some of the most beautiful and interesting sites and getaways on the foothills of the White Mountains.
The High Mountains route
- Morning visit and walk in Lakki, the last village before the high mountains, overlooking two incredible gorges, the homonymous Gorge of Lakki and the Gorge of Zourvas. Small tour to discover the village and its history. - (30 min)
- Visit at the Botanical Garden of Chania for a tour focusing on biodiversity and gastronomy (2h). Stop at the Garden's café, to enjoy the spendid balcony, some coffee and refreshments.
- Arrival at the Omalos plateau for a lunch in nature, viewing the Samaria Gorge.
- Possibility to visit a big cave and to do a small walk (20 min) to see the view of the northern Cretan coast, as well as to visit a traditional cheese factory.
- Depending on our energy and on weather conditions, it is also possible to walk to the Kallergi Shelter at an altitude of 1680 m. (3 hours distance to go and come back).
- End of the day with an afternoon relaxation on the southern coast, at the beach of Sougia.
The price includes:
- Experienced interpretive guide
- First Aid Kit
- Entrance fee for the Botanical Garden
- If you choose the hike : Walking poles (on request, depending on availability)
- Beverages and drinks that will not be offered in the café of the Botanical Garden
- Lunch in nature
- Water (1 lt)
- Third Party Liability
The price does not include:
- Transport from/to your accommodation (upon request)
- If you choose the hike: Personal accident insurance, powered by Lloyd's insurance company (in this case the insurance cost is paid separately)
- Personal expenses & tips
- Anything not mentioned above
* This trip is a private excursion.
* Necessary personal equipment: Sunscreen oil, Hat, Sunglasses │Trekking or walking shoes │ Small rucksack with your personal items
* (!) Please inform us of any dietary needs/particularities you might have (allergies, intolerances) or other health issues we have to take into consideration.