WALL PAINTINGS IN THE CHAPELS OF KAVOUSI
For adults, with an archeologist
Walking into the traditional village of Kavousi, we will enter into two churches. Through this visit the traveller will discover humble secrets hidden in tiny churches of Crete, travel to the medieval world of the Venetian occupied East, capture moments of daily life of the 14th - 15th century and feel the philosophy of the Orthodox Christian church.
Thousands of medieval treasures of art and spirit are scattered in the villages and the countryside of Crete. They are not hidden in the earth. They are not displayed in museums. Just opening the door of a Byzantine church and behold a gallery with art works by anonymous artists: illustrated episodes of the gospels, the saints’ lives, the holy service, the psalms, the Revelation. Saints and sinners, heaven and earth, the whole universe in the miniature of a church. The beliefs, the practice and the ontology of the Orthodox Christian church written shortly and simply on the walls, in a language that can be read even by illiterates: the language of the image.
- A traditional village: walking tour inside Kavousi.
- Saints and sinners: visiting Agios Georgios (Saint George) church (14th cen.).
- Earth and heaven: tour visiting Agioi Apostoloi (Holy Apostles) church (14th cen.).
- Modern Communion: tasting raki in a local traditional kafeneio.
The price includes:
- Experienced archaeologist
- Thematic booklet
- Light lunch in a traditional kafeneio
- Water (1 lt)
- Third Party Liability
The price does not include:
- Transport from/to your accommodation (upon request
- Entrance fees for organized historical / archaeological sites
- Beverages and drinks
- Personal expenses & tips
- Anything not mentioned above
* This trip is a private excursion
* Not ideal for children
* Necessary personal equipment: Sunscreen Oil, Hat, Sunglasses │Walking shoes│Small rucksack with your personal items
* (!) Please inform us of any dietary needs/particularities you might have (allergies, intolerances) or other health issues we have to take into consideration