FINDINGS AND STORIES OF MOCHLOS
Discover the everyday life in Minoan and Medieval times at a seaside area of East Crete, as archaeologists do!
Visitors will become the explorers of several archaeological sites and their secrets. They will travel back in time, while discovering the countryside around the village and the island of Mochlos, delving, as archaeologists do, into the stories that are hidden in the excavation finds during the last five thousand years. The visit includes a driving tour in the area and a walking tour in the village and on the island of Mochlos.
In 1908 on the island of Mochlos, a Minoan settlement and a cemetery of the 3rd millennium BC came to light. The discovered artefacts began to unfold stories about the people of Mochlos: the stone vessels for the lapidaries, the gold crowns for the goldsmiths, the seals made of stones from the East for the merchants, the clay boats for the seamen.
The excavations continued throughout the 20th century until today, bringing every so often new findings into light. In 2005, a small bronze dragonfly was discovered on the floor of a room. The jewel could tell the story of the coppersmith who made it, the woman who would wore it and the worshippers of the Minoan religion who had connected this insect with the goddess of fertility. At the same time, the dragonfly could symbolize the ability of the Minoan traveller to cross the seas.
- Introduction – viewpoint change: the art of excavation inside the natural and human-made landscape
- Driving tour to historical sites, travelling back in time: a traditional mill, a Venetian tower, a medieval church, a Byzantine bath.
- Walking tour to the prehistoric sites around the modern village: a quarry, a cemetery, a craftsmen district.
- Tour on the island of Mochlos: the Minoan town and significant port of the 3rd millennium BC. (If the weather does not permit the transfer by boat, the tour will take place from a distance, on the mainland).
The price includes:
- Experienced archaeologist
- Thematic booklet
- Boat tickets
- Snack in nature
- Lunch at a traditional tavern
- Water (1 lt)
- Third Party Liability
The price does not include:
- Transport from/to your accommodation (upon request)
- Personal Accident Insurance (upon request)
- Beverages and drinks
- Personal expenses & tips
- Anything not mentioned above
* This trip is a private excursion.
* Children can participate from the age of 10, given they have a relative trekking experience.
* Necessary personal equipment: Sunscreen oil, Hat, Sunglasses │ Walking or trekking shoes │ Small rucksack with your personal items │ Swimming suit
* (!) Please inform us of any dietary needs/particularities you might have (allergies, intolerances) or other health issues we have to take into consideration.