Hidden stories about the artisans and the merchants of Mochlos in small excavation finds
Visitors will become the explorers of an ancient site which is revealing its secrets. They will travel back in time, while discovering the village and the island of Mochlos, delving, as archeologists do, into the stories that are hidden in the excavation finds.. The visit includes a driving and a walking tour in the village, a walking tour on the island of Mochlos, as well as an outdoor picnic.
In 1908 on the island of Mochlos, a minoan settlement and a cemetery of the 3rd millennium BC came to light. The discovered artifacts began to unfold stories about the people of Mochlos: the stone vessels for the lapidaries, the gold crowns for the goldsmiths, the seals made of stones from the East for the merchants, the clay boats for the seamen.
The excavations continued throughout the 20th century until today, bringing every so often new findings into light. In 2005, a small bronze dragonfly was discovered on the floor of a room. The jewel could tell the story of the coppersmith who made it, the woman who would wore it and the worshipers of the minoan religious who had connected this insect with the goddess of fertility. At the same time, the dragonfly could symbolize the ability of the minoan traveler to cross the seas.
- Introduction – viewpoint change: the art of excavation inside the natural and human-made landscape
- Driving tour to historical sites travelling back in time: a modern country house, a traditional mill, a venetian tower, a medieval church, a byzantine bath.
- Walking tour to the prehistoric sites around the modern village: a quarry, a cemetery, a craftmen district.
- Tour on the island of Mochlos: the minoan town and significant port of the 3rd millennium BC. (If the weather does not permit the transfer by boat, the tour will take place from a distance, on the mainland).
The price includes:
- Experienced archaeologist
- Thematic booklet
- Boat tickets
- Light lunch in nature
- Early dinner in a traditional tavern
- Water (1 lt)
- Third Party Liability
The price does not include:
- Transport from/to your accommodation (upon request)
- Personal Accident Insurance (upon request)
- Beverages and drinks
- Personal expenses & tips
- Anything not mentioned above
* This trip is a private excursion.
* Children can participate from the age of 10, given they have a relative trekking experience.
* Necessary personal equipment: Sunscreen oil, Hat, Sunglasses │ Walking or trekking shoes │ Small rucksack with your personal items │ Swimming suit
* (!) Please inform us of any dietary needs/particularities you might have (allergies, intolerances) or other health issues we have to take into consideration.