MINOS, THE NINE YEARS KING
Follow our archaeologist in the mythical landscape of ancient Knossos
An innovative introduction to the Minoan civilization by a specialized and highly qualified archaeologist, through the mythical past of Knossos and its palace, centre of the greatest and most famous city of Crete. The excursion includes a rich picnic out in nature, following the ancient Cretan diet.
Depending on the travellers’ preference, a two-hour trekking through an ancient path with a stunning view and accompanied by a mountain guide may also be included.
Knossos was the largest and most ancient city of Minoan Crete. Its king Minos, son of Zeus and the oriental princess Europe, keeps a prominent place in the mythical past of Crete. According to the oldest sources, every nine years the legendary king ascended the sacred mountain of his territory where he received the divine laws in order to renew his term.
The area around the palace of Knossos provides the fantastic mythical landscape of this nine-year ritual process. The travellers of Petassos will have the opportunity to become acquainted with a fabulous mythical scenery, the landscape around the town and palace of Knossos, learn about the control of space and time in Eastern cultures and explore moments of worship of Bronze Age Crete.
- Driving to the peak sanctuary of the Knossos holy mountain (811 m)
- Guided tour around an important Minoan sanctuary
- Picnic stop at the hilly area of a long lasting ceremonial area of ancient Crete
- A two-hour trek to the peak sanctuary (at an additional charge)
The price includes:
- Experienced archaeologist
- Thematic booklet
- Light lunch out in nature following the ancient Cretan diet
- Water (1 lt)
- For the trekking part, if chosen: Walking poles (on request, depending on availability)
- Third Party Liability
The price does not include:
- Transport from/to your accommodation (upon request)
- Guided tours and entrance tickets for organized archaeological sites
- Personal Insurance (upon request)
- Beverages and drinks
- Personal expenses & tips
- Anything not mentioned above
* This trip is a private excursion
* For groups of adults
* Necessary personal equipment: Sunscreen oil, Hat, Sunglasses │If you choose the trekking, don't forget: Trekking or walking shoes │ Small rucksack with your personal items
* (!) Please inform us of any dietary needs/particularities you might have (allergies, intolerances) or other health issues we have to take into consideration
Click to enlarge map
Duration: 4-6 hours (depending on whether you will choose the trekking)
All year round, upon request
Note: with at least 3 days' notice
Location: The surroundings of the archaeological site of Knossos (15 km from Heraklion city)
Very easy │ If trekking included, level of difficulty: easy/moderate
Note: For more languages, it is possible to have an interpreter, upon request.