* THIS PROGRAMME IS SUITABLE FOR FAMILIES WITH CHILDREN 5+ & FOR GROUPS OF CHILDREN OVER 8 YEARS OLD
Making your own soap from olive oil, in a beautiful little village 18 km from Heraklion city. In a quality workshop run by a young passionate lady, specialised in the art of soap and cosmetics. A plunge in the intoxicating natural scents and the aromas and smooth texture of the best olive oil in the world. Fascinating for children that become little chemists and leave the workshop taking with them the soaps they have prepared by themselves.
If we take a close look at a bar of soap we will see the universe in its entirety. We are going to see natural phenomena: liquid swirling and evaporating thanks to the air and the heat of atoms that exist but remain invisible to our eyes. What chemical elements exist in soap? Where can they be found? In olive oil, the nourishing balms and the aromatic plants. There's an idea that "every successful relationship needs to have good chemistry". But we cannot discover the «chemistry» of the soap unless we experiment. Through trial and error we will acquire the knowledge and share it with the friends of Petassos Travel!
At the Workshop you will get to know the traditional cold process soap making method for a soap made by hand with the olive oil as a base.
We are also going to learn the exotic oils, balms (beurres), essences, natural colorants, plants and spices which are used in soap making. The aim of this seminar is to encourage the participants to make soaps with the guidance of the experts.
- A brief history of soap making and its chemical consistence.
- Description of the different stages of soap making, cutting and maturation.
- Introduction to the necessary materials, equipment and safety measures.
- Presentation of the oils, balms and other additives (essences, plants, natural colorants, spices, minerals, exfoliants) used in the procedure.
- Description of the procedure for the participants.
- Preparation of the individual equipment, explanations, choice of materials.
- Questions - discussion.
- Making the soap: At this stage each person will make their own soap under the direction of the people responsible of the workshop. The soaps will then be put into special boxes and will be given to the participants.
- Discussion of the results of the workshop.
- Notes about the different stages of the soap making will be given to all participants.
- At the end of the workshop visitors must tidy up before leaving.