Cretan cheese making in the heart of Psiloritis Natural Park
A unique tour in the world of Cretan cheese, with a shepherd and a food quality specialist. The famous livestock product of the most mountainous island in the Mediterranean. The travelers with PETASSOS will walk to easy paths that pass through pastures where livestock is practiced nowadays and will enjoy a full tasting experience based on dairy products.
- In the weekdays, the programme starts at the Information Center of the Psiloritis Natural Park - Geopark of Unesco, about which there will be a small presentation. In the weekends the starting and meeting point will be a traditional taverna at village of Anogeia.
- Brief presentation of the cheece production in Crete.
- Visit at a typical shepherd's hut (mitato) in the heart of Psiloritis mountains and participation in the various stages of cheese making.
- Light lunch in nature and tasting of different varieties of cheese.
- A short walk in the pasture in the mountains of Psiloritis.
- Back to the village and early dinner in a traditional tavern.
- Depending on time availability and the desires of the participants, we will have the possibility for a couple of extra visits to:
- the most significal livestock zone of Crete, the plateau of Nida.
- the world renown archaeological cave of Zeus on the plateau of Nida.
- the surprising archeological collection of the ancient settlement of Zominthos.
The price includes:
- Experienced food technology expert
- A local shepherd will be present for the preparation of cheese
- Thematic booklet
- Light lunch in nature
- Early dinner in a traditional tavern
- Water (1 lt)
- Third Party Liability
The price does not include:
- Transport from/to your accommodation (upon request)
- Personal Accident Insurance (upon request)
- Beverages and drinks
- Personal expenses & tips
- Anything not mentioned above
* This trip is a private excursion.
* If you choose the the trekking routes: Children can participate from the age of 12, given they have a relative trekking experience.
* Necessary personal equipment: Sunscreen oil, Hat, Sunglasses │ Walking or trekking shoes│ Small rucksack with your personal items │Walking poles (available upon request, depending on availability)
* (!) Please inform us of any dietary needs/particularities you might have (allergies, intolerances) or other health issues we have to take into consideration.