CHEESE COMES FROM THE MOUNTAIN!
A delicious experience in the world of shepherds and in the most significant livestock zone of Crete
A close encounter with one of the most famous livestock products of the most mountainous island in the Mediterranean, through a unique tour with a shepherd and an experienced guide. The travellers of PETASSOS will walk to easy paths that pass through pastures where livestock is practised nowadays and will enjoy a full tasting experience based on dairy products. A light lunch in nature and an early dinner are also included, to make this day a complete gastronomic experience.
- In the weekdays, the programme starts at the Information Center of the Psiloritis Natural Park - Geopark of Unesco, about which there will be a small presentation. In the weekends the starting and meeting point will be a traditional taverna at village of Anogia.
- Brief presentation of the cheese production in Crete.
- Visit at a typical shepherd's hut (mitato) in the heart of Psiloritis mountains and participation in the various stages of cheese making.
- Light lunch in nature and tasting of different types of cheese.
- A short walk in the pasture in the mountains of Psiloritis.
- Back to the village and early dinner in a traditional tavern.
- Depending on time availability and the desires of the participants, we will have the possibility for a couple of extra visits to:
- the most significant livestock zone of Crete, the plateau of Nida.
- the world renown archaeological cave of Zeus on the plateau of Nida.
- the surprising archaeological collection of the ancient settlement of Zominthos.
The price includes:
- Experienced guide
- A local shepherd will be present for the preparation of cheese
- Thematic booklet
- Light lunch in nature
- Early dinner in a traditional tavern
- Water (1 lt)
- Third Party Liability
The price does not include:
- Transport from/to your accommodation (upon request)
- Personal Accident Insurance (upon request)
- Beverages and drinks
- Personal expenses & tips
- Anything not mentioned above
* This trip is a private excursion.
* If you choose the the trekking routes: Children can participate from the age of 12, given they have a relative trekking experience.
* Necessary personal equipment: Sunscreen oil, Hat, Sunglasses │ Walking or trekking shoes│ Small rucksack with your personal items │Walking poles (available upon request, depending on availability)
* (!) Please inform us of any dietary needs/particularities you might have (allergies, intolerances) or other health issues we have to take into consideration.